Tuesday 23 November 2010

Fashion and Style ... that was



The YouTube user 'Rosebudgarden' who compiled these videos, had this to say:

"Glorious, stunning fashion shots mostly from the 40s & 50s. The 40s colour photographs are a revelation - I could spend the rest of my days just looking at them. It's an unreality that gives me the impression that complete female emancipation is through total femininity, and that's just what these images are designed to do - to remind women of the primal urge and liberating feeling of being beautiful. A cynical ploy to keep women in chains? If so, then it's an exquisite slavery from which women are disinclined to be free."





The elegant 1950's. Below is a picture of my mother and I towards the end of the 50's



Would you wish for the elegant era to grace women's bodies again, or do you have reservations re what it all represented? Does the idea of feminine gracefulness conjure up notions of 'The Stepford Wives' to you? As it so happened, my own mother was a very successful and highly qualified pharmacist.

Would be interested to know your thoughts.

Geli xx

No comments: